Thursday, June 17, 2010

Another Great Day!

Wednesday, June 16

After a delicious breakfast (I always love the day after my mom goes to the store!) my mom, dad, and I did some work grading Chinese peoples’ English on NETPAW. We got to use my dad’s software, a program he’s been developing for the past few years. I have to say, it was pretty cool! We’ve been doing work intermittently the whole day. Today’s been spontaneous and relaxing.

My brothers and I took a walk to explore the area around where we live. We found a nice park about two blocks down the road. I haven’t explored all of it, so I have no idea how big it is, but I’m hoping to go jogging there sometime soon.
Today was the last day we had with the Lins before they leave for two weeks. They’re flying to Alaska for a cruise. By the way, since I’ve never formally introduced them, David and Kathy Lin are both from the United States (although Pastor Lin was born in Taiwan) and they have five children, one of whom is adopted. They have been in Taiwan for nine years and helped found the Bi-Lingual Community Church.

We ate lunch at Bagel and Bagel (squared). I just got a sandwich (similar to one at subway) but I noticed an item on the menu: squid ink spaghetti! For some reason it turns me off (a squid shoots it out of its body, for goodness sakes!) but it might be a delicacy here, so I’m thinking about going back to try it sometime! We’ll see. We also went swimming again with the Lins. It’s free at their apartment complex, and they’ve been kind enough to leave their key with us so that we can go when they’re gone. I tell you, a swim here is so refreshing!

Later we took another walk, this time our whole family went to the park and walked around a little. Just before dark we left the park and tried to find a place to eat. Do you know how hard it is to eat when you don’t know what the food is and no one is around to translate? We’ve found that buffets work the best. You just get what looks good and then they tell you how much it is. After a good search we settled on a bakery. In addition to buying some little Taiwanese pizzas, we also got hotdogs wrapped in a croissant and I got a sweet roll with some kind of potato salad in it. We brought the food back home to eat it.






No comments:

Post a Comment